Monday, October 24, 2005

VMware Player "hacked"

A few days ago VMWare released "VMWare Player" which can run virtual machines but cannot create them.
Today I saw this how-to on hackaday.
I just installed Ubuntu and it works great!

Here is my modified how-to:
  • install the VMWare Player
  • download the "Browser Appliance" virtual machine
  • make a test run of the virtual machine to verify that it works
  • download the Ubuntu CD-Image
  • replace these two lines in the file "Browser-Appliance.vmx":

    ide1:0.fileName = "auto detect"
    ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"

    by these:

    ide1:0.fileName= "ubuntu-5.10-install-i386.iso"
    ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"

  • start the virtual machine and press ctrl-g to direct the
    input to the virtual machine
  • press escape and boot from cd-rom
  • install ubuntu
  • revert the changes made above
  • done (you may want to delete the iso which you don't need
    anymore)

5 comments:

Rob said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Flying Ties said...

Ok, maybe I'll make the first non spam post.

This is an EXCELLENT post, especially since I develop in Linux... although I use linux pretty exclusively, for user reasons (I wont be the only user) my laptop must be Windows, but I still want to be able to develop, and from the comfort of my living room. This will let me do it. Instant bookmark!

Valentin said...

Thanks for the comment! The very first on this Blog, well the first non-spam post.
I just deleted all the spam and enabled the word verification, maybe that helps...

Anonymous said...

Thanks. This information was useful to me. I've been looking for a cheap way to run Linux on my Windows systems, for the problems where I find Linux a better solution.

Anonymous said...

Fett! Gleich mal ausprobieren! :-)